Monday, May 28, 2012

Dancing with my Heart (If Only I Can Get My Head to Shut Up)



This weekend I went to a wedding, which was absolutely beautiful and filled with so much love. Not just between the bride and groom but also from their families who were obviously so full of pride and love and joy that these two people had found their partner in life.
There were many things to be in awe of, from the gorgeous location on the edge of Lake Washington to the mashed potato martini bar with toppings (yes there was bacon), but the thing that struck me most was the stunning display of white boy dancing. Which I’m proud to say my boyfriend, his brother and their brother from another mother were the center of. While I tried my best to follow along I was clearly out of my league and down right jealous. How I envied their ability to immerse themselves so completely in the enjoyment of dancing that they forget to be self conscious. Or perhaps they’re simply not self conscious. Perhaps they have realized that people are looking at them with wonder and admiring their bravery and freedom. Maybe they just don’t care at all. Have they mastered the ability to be so completely present in the action that thoughts of anything else don’t enter their mind in that moment. Can they simply feel and move in response? Do they realize what a feat that is? 
There are very few times that I am capable of doing this and it’s usually when no ones watching. But put me on a dance floor in a room of people and the best I can do is try and experience small snippets of time where my mind becomes completely immersed in the experience and my body is left to its own devices. Then of course I realize that it’s happened and I’m back to thinking about it. 
I'm not really sure how to get to that point but I'm trying. I feel theres going to be a lot of random dance parties in my room from now on... maybe one day I'll let someone watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment