Tuesday, June 5, 2012


Captives Log, June 5th
It's pouring.

Yes, you read that right it's June 5th and it's pouring. Like full on rain jacket with hood required, pouring. In other words it's a morning for oatmeal and hot tea. Now that's not to say I don't eat oatmeal when it's not raining, I eat it about half the mornings of the week. But today especially calls for oatmeal. When I was a little girl my mom used to wake up early on rainy mornings and make us oatmeal, of course in those days it was loaded with brown sugar and butter and a little bit of milk around the edges. Most kids hate oatmeal, but those were my favorite mornings. It might even be why I love the rain so much (sorry mom you might be a contributing factor to me moving to Seattle). 
So this morning I made my oatmeal and loaded up with cinnamon, coconut oil and xylitol (I've been off sugar for over 8 weeks) and added my secret ingredient... salt. Who knew that optional pinch on the recipe on the back of the Quakers box was actually a good idea. I also made myself a cup of Earl Grey tea. I learned the other day that Early Grey is supposedly a grandmother tea, meaning only grandmothers drink it. This kinda makes sense, I've always known I was an old soul... If only I had time to get my needlepoint out (not kidding).
Regardless as I sit here watching the rain fall, and savoring my tea and oatmeal, I'm a kid again. I'm curled up on my couch with the people I love most in the world with the rain as my soundtrack. They were rare times in Southern California and I treasure them now perhaps just as much as I did then. 


No comments:

Post a Comment